Fats used to be considered enemy #1 for people who wanted to lose weight. It was being shoved down our throats that if we wanted to lose weight we had to simply eat less fat. Well guess what happened because of this? Yes, people got fatter and less healthy which is no surprise since while they cut their fat back-including good fats, they increased their intake of carbohydrates…which are the real enemy. Eating the right amounts and right kinds of fats are not only health for you, but will help you lose weight. Lets have a look at some of them
Powerful Omega 3’s
Most people reading this will have heard about omega 3’s. Not only are they good for your overall health they also are very good at helping you lose fat. It is important to take a high quality fish oil as the cheaper ones are loaded with mercury and other toxins. Some of the benefits of omega 3’s are:
- Decrease chances of heart attacks and strokes. One study shows up to 50% less chance of getting these
- Low levels of omega 3′s have been linked to depression, ADD, lower intelligence, behavioral problems, concentration, violent behavior, and even impaired vision.
- Omega 3′s are also a very potent natural anti-inflammatory. Most people have problems with inflammation throughout the body.
- Improves insulin sensitivity.
- Anti-aging due to its anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Many people also notice that their skin and nails also feel more healthy once they get their omega 3 levels balanced.
- Get most of your omega 3’s from EPA and DHA
- The dosage is 1-1.5g/bodyfat percentage point. So for example if you are at 20% bodyfat you would take 20g/day spread out with meals. As you get leaner you will drop the dosage accordingly.
Coconut oil is high in medium chain fatty acids. It helps with health, brain function and body composition. It has anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties which means it can help you fight off bacteria and viruses. It can also help fight off yeast, fungus and candida. It helps people with crohns and ibs.
Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. Lauric acid improves your HDL levels (good cholesterol) thus improving the HDL to LDL ratio.
Coconut oil can help rev up the thyroid which in turn will help you lose more weight and decrease the amount of bad cholesterol in your body.
Coconut oil is also good for weight loss. A 12 week study on women who consumed 2 tablespoons a day of coconut oil did not gain weight. In fact, they lost weight around the abdominal section. This fat is the hardest to lose and contributes to health problems. Another study shows that at 2tbsp a day people lost about a pound in a month without altering their diet or activity.
Coconut oil will:
- Improve your heart health.
- Boost your thyroid.
- Increase your metabolism.
- Promote a lean body and weight loss.
- Support your immune system.
Dosage: 1-2 tablespoons a day. Coconut oil is also the preferred oil for frying as it can withstand the highest amount of heat before breaking down. Make sure that it is virgin coconut oil.
Olive oil is high in omega 6 fats which are important for fat loss and health. Best to use on salads/vegetables
Make sure it is extra virgin unrefined
Because it is oxidized by heat it is not recommended for frying. Eat cold.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Improve insulin health
- Boosts metabolism
- Protects liver
- High in antioxidants
- Good for heart health
- Make sure it is high quality do not go on the cheap
- Keep in a cool dark place
- Purchase smaller bottles to ensure freshness
- Immediately replace cap after each pour
Contrary to what you have been told butter is actually good for you. As long as it is organic and comes from grass fed cows. Avoid margarine as it is very unhealthy for you. It is only a molecule away from plastic. Another interesting fact is that if left outside margarine is the only food that flies will not be attracted to. This has to say something!
Some benefits of eating butter are:
- Protects from heart disease- It has important vitamins like A,D,K
- Supports good gut bacteria
- Has antifungal properties
- Has antiviral properties
- Improves thyroid health
- Improves metabolism
- Improves immune system
- Supports adrenals
- Helps prevent osteoarthritis
Oils to avoid:
These oils are highly succeptable to damage from heat and very bad for your health